Up For Grabs

3.25.2010

The Fear Of Losing Memory

Each and every creature in this world, be it an animal or a human, has its own set of memories to ponder. In fact, a great part of our brain is filled with various memories from range of sources accumulated over time. Whether it is a good memory or not, the information you were able to collect and store in your brain will always be a part of you; unless you are going to suffer from a kind of mental disorder like Amnesia or Alzheimer's disease.

I have always feared Alzheimer's disease and other mental disorders. For me, losing one's ability to think or comprehend and respond rationally would truly be a disastrous and a heartbreaking condition. I dont want to experience having a hard time dealing with any cognitive impairments; and of course, I dont want any of my family members and friends to go through such tragedy.

I know, and maybe most of us are also aware, that many of the health problems we tend to face are products of our own actions in terms of choosing and living a kind of lifestyle. Cancer and other life-threatening diseases should no longer be a surprise for those who are consistently abusing their mind and body. We all know the consequences of our actions or the possible outcomes of doing something that is way beyond what's acceptable. Thus, there should be no room for blaming and stuff.

I tend to be forgetful nowadays. It's not really an alarming thing yet. But what I'm really worried about is my mom. She had been complaining and showing signs of aging; including recurrent moments of forgetfulness and being somewhat lost. I know she had been through a lot and I'm not the kind of daughter who would always make her feel loved and supported. *sigh*. Yes, guilty as charged. And I know there shouldnt be any excuse as to how I should act. I know, I should be responsible and caring for my mom more than anybody else would. But, I just dont know how, dont have the courage or I dont really care enough. :(

When I watched "The Notebook", a movie inspired by Nicholas Sparks' novel, it really inspired and broke my heart. That's also one thing that encouraged me to write a daily journal accounting each and every thing I've done for each day or recording everything that happened. But of course, my laziness took over. It's so saddening for the one who lose the memory as well as to his or her loved ones. Some folks with such dilemma end up dying after years of pain and suffering. I just dont want to deal with it. And so, I really pray, that not a single form of mental and even physical problem would come out of the picture and take the best out of everyone I love.

0 comments: